${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu
Call Today: 855-805-0595

So, what if you need to move with your child after a divorce?

46637389_S.jpgFor many couples, the child custody portion of their divorce settlement may be the most difficult aspect of the process. It is difficult because of the competing interests, the financial element of child support and the fact most parents want to be with their children as much as possible.

So, after hammering out an agreement that both sides can live with, what happens if because of your job or for other reasons, you need to relocate? As complex as it may be to deal with custody issues, especially joint custody, even in a town the size of Columbia, what will happen when one parent needs to move to St. Louis, Kansas City or somewhere else?

Most important, you must remember that section in your custody or visitation decree that reminds you that you must give notice at least 60 days prior to any relocation. Missouri statute Section 452.377.1 provides the list of information you must provide to the other parent. If you fail to follow this procedure, you could wind up paying for the other parent's legal costs, and be required to return the child to the court's jurisdiction.

This will also likely impair your prospect of retaining, much, if any, custody or visitation with your child, and could lead to restrictions such as supervised visitation for the remainder of the time your custody order remains in place.

Because your relocation with the child could result in the other parent having less time with your child, you will need to provide substantial evidence of how this move will truly benefit the child. You also have to indicate in detail how the existing custody or visitation order will need to be modified.

Given the complexity of this issue and the frequent need for court approval of a relocation, it is best if you work with an attorney to draw up the strongest arguments that support the move and a revised custody plan that demonstrates how such a relocation is in the child's best interest and not being done simply to deprive the child's other parent of time with the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Team To Get Help Now

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Stange Logo

Stange Law Firm, PC
1506 Chapel Hill Rd
Suite H
Columbia, Missouri 65203

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Law Office Map

DHQ | Divorce Headquarters Divorce
Headquarters ® App Download The App
Questions? Live Chat Pay Your Bill Online
States of Service

Other Office Locations

  • Saint Louis County: 120 S. Central Ave., Suite 450, Clayton, MO 63105: Clayton Office
  • West County: 16024 Manchester Rd., Suite 103, Ellisville, MO 63011: Ellisville Office
  • Jackson County: 256 NE Tudor Rd., Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086: Lee's Summit Office
  • Jefferson County: 16 Municipal Drive, Suite C, Arnold, MO 63010: Arnold Office
  • St. Charles County: 2268 Bluestone Drive, St. Charles, MO 63303: St. Charles Office
  • Franklin County: 5 S. Oak St. Union, MO 63084: Union Office
  • Lincoln County: 20 Centerline Drive, Troy, Missouri 63379: Troy Office
  • Boone County: 1506 Chapel Hill Rd., Suite H, Columbia, MO 65203: Columbia Office
  • Greene County: 901 E. St. Louis, Suite 404, Springfield, Missouri 65806: Springfield, MO Office
  • St. Clair County: 115 Lincoln Place Ct., Ste. 101, Belleville, IL 62221: Belleville Office
  • Madison County: 25 Professional Park, Suite B, Maryville, Illinois 62062: Maryville Office
  • Sangamon County: 400 S. 9th St., Suite 100, Springfield, IL 62701: Springfield Office
  • McLean County: 1012 Ekstam Drive, Suite 4, Bloomington, IL 61704: Bloomington Office
  • Johnson County: 7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560, Overland Park, KS 62210: Overland Park Office
  • Sedgwick County: 2024 N. Woodlawn Street, Suite 407, Wichita, Kansas 67208: Wichita Office
  • Shawnee County: 800 SW Jackson Street, Suite 812, Topeka, Kansas 66612: Topeka Office
  • Tulsa County: 6660 S. Sheridan Road, Suite 240, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133: Tulsa Office
  • Oklahoma County: 2601 NW Expressway, Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, OK 73112: Oklahoma City Office
  • Monroe County: 116 W. Mill St., Waterloo, IL 62298 (by appt. only): Waterloo Office
  • St. Louis City: 100 S. 4th St., #549, St. Louis, MO 63102 (by appt. only): St. Louis Office
  • Jackson County: 2300 Main St., #948, Kansas City, MO 64108 (by appt. only): Kansas City Office

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. See additional disclaimers here.